Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I secure my solar power installation against freezing, when I have an UVR1611?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I secure my solar power installation against freezing, when I have an UVR1611?

In Denmark there are below 0 degrees Celcius during winter, thus there can be problems with solar panels. I have a UVR1611 but I can not se how I secure against freezing in the system. There are a anti freezing function but it is not allocated to solar control. I use A3.30.

While the X2 generation of TA products (16X2, RSM610, UVR610 etc) have a built in anti-freeze in the Solar Control function, the previous generation (like your UVR1611) doesn't.

It's not a big deal, though, you just need to set up a separate comparison function BEFORE the solar control function:

Click image for larger version  Name:	UVR1611 Antifreeze.png Views:	0 Size:	24.4 KB ID:	154

The comparison function above looks like this:

Click image for larger version  Name:	UVR1611 Antifreeze-2.png Views:	0 Size:	5.7 KB ID:	155

When the solar panel temperature falls to 2.0 C, this function activates. In this example, the Solar Pump and Chrg Pump both turn on. Other functions or outputs can be added here, depending on the design of the individual system. You can also change the values, obviously. Let's say your heat medium is water mixed with glycol, and you determined the freezing point to be -10 C. In this case you could opt to change the values to 1.0, Diff. on 2.0, Diff. off 0.0. Remember that parts of the solar panel can be colder than your sensor position. Your sensor could also have an inaccuracy. Having said that, liquids often take a while longer to actually freeze. A bottle of water in the freezer can go below zero and still be water, until you tap it and it suddenly freezes up within a second or two.

For the parameters in this comparison: Once the temperature reaches 5.1C ( > 2.0 + 3.0 ), the function will switch back to normal operation.

Note that this comparison function is connected to the solar function. This means that as long as Anti-Freeze operations are needed, the Solar Function isn't even active.

Something similar can be done for overheating, although the Solar Function, even in UVR1611, has that built in already.

Programming any of the TA controllers should be seen in a similar way of how a spreadsheet works. Each cell of the spreadsheet is like each function in the program, or a value. Just like in a spreadsheet, cells can affect each other, so that functions or values can affect or even enable/disable other functions. But the main point is that it is not a single thread logic. All functions are running at the same time, unless they are disabled. Each function is on by default, unless it receives an OFF signal to the "Enable Function" input (as in this case the Solar Control does in case of freezing conditions).

I hope this answers your question
    Last edited by Core; 04-26-2021, 01:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
    X