Output port 1611

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Output port 1611

If have some questions regarding outputs on my 1611 (upgraded and updated version). I have seen the youtube video's from TA but I feel a bit more safer if I can ask here. I hope you will find time to answer my questions, thank you. In my setup I have 3 Grundfoss Alpha 2 pumps (on off pumps where one pump will be on at "all time" for heater) and 2 Grundfoss Magna 3 pumps (PWN controlled) for solar system using heat exchanger (one on each side). And I need to control my oil burner system (on off) and 2 valves (on off). In total 3+2+1+2 items to be controlled in on-off. The Alpha 2 pumps are going to be used as on-off pumps depending on the appropriate function - setting on pumps will be auto adapt on low or mid level. For the alpha 2 pumps my questions are: 1) what output port are to be used? I do not need speed adjustable for Alpha 2, so I only need on-off setting (I think I have read that low consumption pumps as Alpha 2 might give some problems direct on output port). I prefer to isolate 1611 and pumps by external relay - so 1611 output will control a relay that deliver voltage to the pump (for Alpha 2 pumps can I thus use A3, A4 and A5-pot free?) 2) For electrical valves (on off) - can I direct use A8 and A9? 3) For the 2 Magna 3 pumps - they are now not low energy consumption items, so is it A10 and A11 or Hirel 1, 2 (A12 and A13). 4) Finally - my oil burner: I do not know power consumption so I definitely need external relay for security - could this be port A2 with external relay? 5) When reading "UVR1611 version A4.03 EN - freely programmable universal controller") I can not see maximum power consumption on each output ports and maximum in total for all output ports. (I want to test the outputs through display on 1611 before designing in TAPPS). Thank you.

If have some questions regarding outputs on my 1611 (upgraded and updated version). I have seen the youtube video's from TA but I feel a bit more safer if I can ask here. I hope you will find time to answer my questions, thank you. In my setup I have 3 Grundfoss Alpha 2 pumps (on off pumps where one pump will be on at "all time" for heater) and 2 Grundfoss Magna 3 pumps (PWN controlled) for solar system using heat exchanger (one on each side).
    These pumps are no issue at all. The main issue here is that modern pumps don't like to be switched on and off, by removing the power source. And you definitely cannot control the speed like you could with the old "dumb" pumps. Those old pumps can be mounted on output 1, 2, 6 or 7 on the UVR1611, and the speed could be controlled in steps from 1-30 (in theory, as most pumps needed to go to - say - level 10, before they were even running).. Note that the UVR1611 would be able to run pumps up to 1A each, which is 220-230W. Old circulation pumps rarely use more than 100W, most often 50W. For your setup, it's not applicable, because of the modern pumps you have.

MAGNA pumps: These pumps will have two connections:

1) The mains connection (does NOT have to go through the UVR, but you can do it, if you have enough output ports available AND you want to be able to cut the power to the pump entirely)

2) The PWM output (from the UVR1611 or similar device)

For the UVR1611, output 15 and 16 can be used as PWM. It is an "analogue output". PWM is just a small AC control signal, which you can vary from 0-100. The signal itself is only around 10V.

And I need to control my oil burner system (on off) and 2 valves (on off). In total 3+2+1+2 items to be controlled in on-off.
    Oil burners often run themselves, depending on what temperature they are set to. In your system, I believe you want to be able to control it from the UVR1611. Most oil and gas burners have a function for controlling it remotely. This will need to be via a relay, or the potential-free port of the UVR1611. The latter is fine. Potential-free simply means it has not (mains) voltage, or other voltage. On your UVR1611, that would be output 5. Read the manual for your oil furnace carefully, then find out what pins to connect it to (to UVR1611 output 5). When you want the burner to run, you simply close output 5, and that triggers the oil furnace to run. If you have enough spare outputs, you could consider to power the oil furnace from the UVR1611. The reason for this is that some times, an oil or gas furnace will switch off, like if the temperature is too high. This way, you can reset the furnace, by switching it off, then on again. Be careful with this, though, you need to understand the function of the furnace well. I did this in an installation with a gas furnace. It was on, most of the time, but on rare occasions, the heat draw wouldn't be enough, and it would reach over 70 C inside the furnace internal boiler. By having control over the power supply, I could reset the furnace this way. During summer times and other extended periods of no use, I would also let it switch off entirely (the power supply).

Motor valves usually only use 1-3W, depending on which type they are. They aren't critical at all.

The Alpha 2 pumps are going to be used as on-off pumps depending on the appropriate function - setting on pumps will be auto adapt on low or mid level. For the alpha 2 pumps my questions are: 1) what output port are to be used? I do not need speed adjustable for Alpha 2, so I only need on-off setting (I think I have read that low consumption pumps as Alpha 2 might give some problems direct on output port).
    You can use almost any of the ports (not port 5) on the UVR 1611. But some of the ports, like 1,, 2, 6, 7, 15, 16 etc, are special ports (see below). Use the normal ports for these pumps. When the pump needs to run, simply give it power. Be sure the pump is programmed as you like it, then let it do its own thing.

I prefer to isolate 1611 and pumps by external relay - so 1611 output will control a relay that deliver voltage to the pump (for Alpha 2 pumps can I thus use A3, A4 and A5-pot free?)
    I recommend you don't use external relays this way. You will make the install more complicated, expensive and with more points that can fail.

2) For electrical valves (on off) - can I direct use A8 and A9?
    Yes, no problem. When you program the UVR1611, you decide on the logic used. Some units, like shunt valves, need both a closer and opener function. This requires two ports. But you can also use those ports separately.

3) For the 2 Magna 3 pumps - they are now not low energy consumption items, so is it A10 and A11 or Hirel 1, 2 (A12 and A13).
    First of all, MAGNA3 pumps are very efficient, they do NOT use a lot of power. They are smart, and low power, but also costs more than the old pumps did. But it's worth it. And as described above, the best way to use them is to connect mains power directly to them, then send a PWM signal to control them. PWM = 0 => pump is off. Very simple. Or, you select it to on or off, via the program:

AUTO - via the program, 0-100% being asked via PWM
    ON - Running manually (and then there is one more parameter, where you determine what the on default value is
    OFF - always off
    MAN - now the second value can be user selected, 0-100% (a bit similar to the ON function, but ON is determined in the program, while MAN can be determined by direct user input)

4) Finally - my oil burner: I do not know power consumption so I definitely need external relay for security - could this be port A2 with external relay?
    The way oil and gas burners normally work (those I know of), external control ("brænderkald" in Danish), is simply a short circuit. That is why you need to use output 5, the "potential-free" (voltage free) function. In the case where the burner is controlling itself internally, this port on the oil furnace is normally shorted (always on). By breaking this short, and connecting it to your controller, you are taking over control, from your UVR1611 (or other external controller). I will paste a picture in a message below, from a gas burner, and how it works.

5) When reading "UVR1611 version A4.03 EN - freely programmable universal controller") I can not see maximum power consumption on each output ports and maximum in total for all output ports. (I want to test the outputs through display on 1611 before designing in TAPPS). Thank you.
    The UVR is running on 230V mains voltage. For each amp on the outputs, it's 230W (more or less if mains voltage is a different level, in the 220-250 range typically). But in other words, unless you connect a bread toaster, electric car charger or tumble dryer or hot water heater, you should be able to run normal items in a typical heating control system. Valves, shunts, pumps and similar devices don't use that much power at all. Find the biggest, meanest MAGNA3 pump, and see what it uses when it runs at 100%. I bet it is still way less than 1A (at 230 V). And those pumps, as described above, won't even be run via the system, but directly from the mains (with only a PWM signal from the UVR1611)

Sorry about the delay, and hope it answers your questions!

Click image for larger version

Name:	UVR1611 outputs.png
Views:	10
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	110

Comment

About controlling a gas or oil boiler (furnace), this is an example from a Vaillant Thermocompact boiler:

Name:	vaillant-gas-boiler-control.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	755.3 KB
ID:	112

In this boiler, #3 and #4 on the terminal strip is normally connected with a small cable. This installation I did, the gas boiler is then connected to an RSM610 (similar port as on the UVR1611), so if the port is closed, the furnace is demanded to run (Danish: "Brænderkald"). Note that you should NOT run mains power into the this boiler port #3 and #4. If you did, you COULD be lucky to match the phase and ground, but most likely, it would cause a spark and a costly repair. Hence, you need to use that "potential-free" output port 5 on the UVR1611, and set it correctly in the programming. I will need to check but also think you need some plug (Danish: "Lus") on the 1611 circuit board. Look up the details in the manual, for output port 5.

Again, this is from the Vaillant boiler:

Name:	vaillant boiler.png
Views:	10
Size:	340.1 KB
ID:	113

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Sologgris View Post
          Thank you.
          You're welcome, Sologris.